The Vine Music - Gerard Way: "I don't have much of a social life." [24.09.14]

Ver el tema anterior Ver el tema siguiente Ir abajo

The Vine Music - Gerard Way: "I don't have much of a social life." [24.09.14]

Mensaje  EllyLoher el Miér Abr 01, 2015 2:26 pm

What do you ask the man who does everything? Once upon a time, Gerard Way was thrust into posterchild status for this weird thing called 'emo', made up in black mascara and ironed hair as the lead songwriter and vocalist for My Chemical Romance. In the 12-ish years of their existence, My Chem steadily became one of the biggest rock bands of their generation. Way's lyrics, often fatalistic but always heart-rending, resonated with the apocalyptic feeling of a mostly teen-aged fanbase, couched in stadium anthems which crept across the charts. But 'emo' always seemed like a misnomer given that it was intended to reduce the band as a niche concern, as well as reducing their broader rock influences to seem like juvenile whining. Rock operas have fallen out of fashion for plenty of good reasons, but My Chem's third album The Black Parade and its follow-up Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys revealed them for a band whose vision was as bombastic as their ambition.

And yet more than any other capital-r Rock band, My Chemical Romance just seemed to care more. Particularly about their fans. While "We love you guys, we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you!" and related bromides are well-worn in rock by now, Way always seemed to mean it. By inviting their fans to feel intensely along with them, My Chemical Romance became the emotional stewards for a section of the youth who were deeply unhappy with feeling anything at all. But hearing Way scream "I'M NOT! O! KAY!" during a particularly nasty bout of un-okayness felt infinitely more reassuring than any marketing campaign could muster. Every My Chemical Romance song sounds like an acknowledgement of how extreme it is just to be alive.

Following the breakup of My Chemical Romance early last year, Way went on to talk about making a decision between his health and the band's, ultimately choosing to sacrifice the band so that he could treat the dangerous habits he'd fallen into. He had a family and a kid to consider, and although it was a shot to the heart to his other family - them kids in the crowd - anyone with a shred of empathy could understand. Besides which they'd left us with plenty to chew on: Killjoys got a sequel in the form of a graphic novel, an album of unreleased songs called Conventional Weapons dribbled out over five months was still fresh, and Way showed no signs of stopping. Without the band, Way still had plenty to occupy his time. Besides his family, his various projects included a new volume of his critically-acclaimed graphic novel The Umbrella Academy, a new comic called All Ages based on punk rock cats in high school, some growing work for comics powerhouse Marvel, and more music under his own name. His new album, Hesitant Alien, will sound familiar to latter-day My Chem fans, as well as unearthing some new influences in Way's songwriting.

When My Chem broke up I was gonna dye my hair red like yours during the Killjoys era, that bright crimson, but I could never quite figure out what to use. What was that dye? How do I get my hair Party Poison red?

The problem is that I don't know the answer to that. A friend of mine did it every time for me and it was a combination, a mixture of I think three different reds.

Devastated.

It was a cocktail and I don't know exactly how to make it.

A secret formula. Oh well. So how're you doing these days? I know when My Chemical Romance broke up, health wise you were maybe in a bit of trouble. Are you well?

I am, yeah! The only trouble there was was that it was just life stuff to go through. It was stuff to process, stuff to grieve, those kind of troubles. It's easy to sit there and call something a depressed period or a dark period when in fact you were just dealing with imbalances and things that were difficult. That happens. It wasn't really health issues for me.

You've said that Hesitant Alien is heavily influenced by Britpop but there are also bits here like a massive, stomping rock record. 'Bureau' sounds like it could be an Aerosmith song or something - which is ironic 'cos it rails against that sorta bullshit.

To me, 'Bureau' sounds more like 'Station to Station' by Bowie. I think one of the elements that is less talked about, there's kind of an emphasis on Britpop, probably because of the press statement, but glam played a big part in the sound of this record. Specifically the first Brian Eno record, the Berlin period that David Bowie had in which Eno recorded him, Iggy Pop, T. Rex at times. I think glam has a big part to play in the sound of the record. As well as shoegaze bands like My Bloody Valentine.

It does seem like a big deal is being made out of the Britpop influence but there's so much more to this album. It's interesting you mention T. Rex because I've heard comparisons to T. Rex from the later My Chem albums as well. What is it about the Berlin-era Bowie, Eno, the glam rock thing that's so appealing to you?

I think I've just always liked traditional glam. I think I've always leaned towards that. Definitely stylistically. And the more accessible My Chemical Romance became, I think it was because I was connecting more strongly with glam. It's all over a record like Black Parade whereas Three Cheers is an extremely aggressive album. When you get to Black Parade it's aggressive but there are a lot of elements of glam. Especially 'Teenagers', that could've easily been a T. Rex song. I think it's always been there.

Yeah I agree. I didn't really know what to expect with Hesitant Alien because when people go from being in fairly successful bands to going solo, there's a tendency to do something that's fairly out there, expressing things they might not've gotten to do within the band. But I think Hesitant Alien, to me, some of these songs sound like they could sit next to the Conventional Weapons stuff. It sounds like a natural extension of what was happening.

That could be the connection to Iggy Pop. A lot of the songs, unfortunately sonically didn't reach where I wanted to go, but I was really only listening to The Stooges and The Damned while I was making Conventional Weapons. It could be that. I was really pushing for that proto-punk sound for Conventional Weapons. I wish we'd gotten there but we didn't. This time I tried to really get there sometimes.

I've always admired the relationship you've had with your fans, and now that's taking place on Twitter with you even debuting new work there, but before we get onto that I just wanna ask what it's like to have such a devoted fanbase. You've always seemed particularly conscious and concerned with the well-being of your fans, and now you see the reaction to that in your Twitter timeline every second of the day. What's that like?

It's an amazing thing and it's something you've gotta be really responsible about. I didn't take it too seriously even a couple years ago and I think there was a period where I didn't use [Twitter] because I couldn't process it. You get on Twitter and you realise you have a lot of people listening to you and you start to think you can make everybody happy. Then you're kind of tech support for human beings. You don't have to treat it that way but you start to treat it that way, and you realise you can't make everybody happy and you just have to be yourself and do your thing. I've had a lot healthier of an experience on Twitter since I realised that.

Ultimately you've gotta be really responsible because a lot of young people are following you. It's not about how many people are following you, it's the fact that quite a few of them are under age. Not that I censor myself but I'm a lot more cautious because you don't wanna send out the wrong messages to people. Mainly I just try to fill their day, in reading my tweets, with art and positivity and things like that. I used to be there more emotionally and have a lot more interaction with people, and again you run into a problem there, because you can't do that for 800,000 people. It starts to really take its toll on you. Now I really try to share a ton of stuff. I guess that's the point, you share. Not to soapbox or anything.

I guess the art can do some of the heavy lifting of the emotional support. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness because when I've had moments where the darkness threatened to become unbearable your records really, significantly helped me not to do some truly unfortunate shit, so thank you.

Thank you for sharing that. That's what I ultimately learned over the last two years. Twitter played a part in it, or rather it was one of the forums that helped me realise, but I realised I make art, I share art, I don't get up here and politically talk about my opinions to try to galvanise people or rally them against something. That is absolutely not what my personal job is. I know there are a lot of people on Twitter where that's all they use it for and that's okay for them. But I like sharing through art, I like changing the course of things through art. I think it's far more powerful than just talking about things.

I heard there was a My Chem fan, ViennaKISS, who passed away recently.

Yeah, I just found out about that.

Ostensibly you don't know these people particularly closely but what's your reaction to news like that?

Well, you get to know people over the years. Certain people make a very large impression on you. It's almost always the people that're the kindest, the most genuine, sincere people. Never the people who're really negative, those kind of people just disappear over the years. It's the people like her where, I actually knew who that was as soon as I found out, because she'd been there over the years and was just the sweetest person. I remember the meet and greets where she'd come up and she'd always have something nice to share. She always had something nice to say. She always seemed very genuine. One of the things I remember was that she always seemed like she was looking out for a lot of younger fans, which was really awesome, to see that kind of kindness come from somebody. You do get to know the really good ones, you know? The really good people are the ones who stand out. It was really upsetting for me to find out she passed away.

I wanna talk about the comics work you're doing. I thought you did a phenomenal job on Umbrella Academy and the Killjoys comic was fantastic for the way it blew open that world a little more visually. Now you're working on this new cats-in-high-school comic All Ages. What's the status of that at the moment?

That comic changed a lot. Moving forward, I have to be really cautious with my time. I've committed to doing Umbrella Academy series three, which I'm currently writing, and I really would like that to come out. As well I'd like a lot more music to come out, I'd like to be sharing a lot more often. I don't wanna go back into a cave. The status of that currently is I can't do anything with it, I just don't have the time. As much as I wanna do this epic monthly comic about punk rock and capital punishment there's just no way to fit that in and be a musician. If the only thing I did was write comics it'd be fine, but I'm choosing to focus on Umbrella Academy, because I only have to worry about six issues at a time, and my music. Music is the main focus.

You do so many things which, as an interviewer, makes it very challenging to fit everything into a 20 minute window. How do you do it?

What was initially the most challenging bit, and the most important thing to figure out, was balancing your family into that. I've finally gotten to a point where I think I've become very good at that, I feel very connected to my family and I'm very present. We're all a part of each others' lives and we help each other out. Watching Bandit grow up and being there to raise her, especially in the last few years, because I haven't been in My Chemical Romance, it's been really important for me. I don't know exactly how I do it all. I guess because I'm constantly inspired and constantly filled with this ambition to make something, and there's something driving me to do that. If often beats out a good night's sleep. I think I work really hard and then I spend time with my family and that's all I do. I don't have much of a social life.

What can you tell me about the new Umbrella Academy volume?

It shows this other side of what happened to all the supervillains. You get to see the Murder Magician again, he plays a really big part in this one. It's a completely different take on the universe and I think that's what makes it a great third part. It's going to be a different experience for people. It does focus on the other side, the other characters, these villains and what became of them.

Is there any more news on the movie front?

I'm pretty removed from the movie side of things. I like to focus on the comics. I did spend some time in Hollywood putting my energy into the film and after a while I found that to be a large time drain and energy drain that I wanted to put into other things. But the rights finally came back to Dark Horse and I from Universal, so after years of going through the paces and doing rewrites and trying to find directors they finally decided the project wasn't for them. Which works out in the end. If the film gets made that's really cool., I've never really banked on it or thought about it too much. I think about the world and I think about the characters, but I think about how I can create that with Gabriel [Bá].

You also did the Edge of Spider-verse stint coming out in October. One thing that struck me was certain similarities between some of the artwork and visual elements used in some of the My Chem stuff. How much input did you have on the art direction?

I feel like I had a lot of input. I like to visually conceptualise things as I'm writing the story or as I'm coming up with it. I did it with Umbrella Academy 2. I based the story around the concept of a young teenage girl co-piloting this machine with a radioactive spider whom she shares a psychic link with. I designed the machine. Then Nick Lowe, the editor for Marvel, had an artist who I thought could really capture it and make it his own, so he found Jake Wyatt. I even went as far as to redesign Daredevil 'cos I knew Daredevil was gonna be in it. And Mysterio, and things like that. I visually brought a lot to it and then Jake completely made it his own and ran with it. He's done some amazing things with it.

Based on some of the details of your Edge of Spider-verse plot, can I venture that you're a little bit of a Neon Genesis Evangelion fan?

It's funny, I saw a little bit of it and I guess it had a lasting impression on me. I think the end result through Jake's lens, I know he's a big anime fan, so I think he injected a little bit of that in there. I was really going for was kind of a little bit of a Paul Pope thing. I was going for THB. Paul Pope did this comic called THB that's about this young teenage girl who lives on Mars and she has this magical friend that comes out of a capsule called THB and he's like this large creature. Even the scale of the machine I created was the same size as THB. I think my way in was through this kind of Paul Pope thing and I think on Jake's end came this video game, anime thing. And I'm happy with that, I think it's really cool.

I'm really excited to read it.

It's cool. It came out great, I'm really happy with it.

You've also said that world-building is one of your favourite things to do. Now your outlet for that seems primarily in comics but there were conceptual ties in several of the My Chem records. Do you think you'll bring that world-building aspect to your music again in the future?

I might! I look up to musicians like Damon Albarn quite a bit. One of the things he's done quite a bit is he's gotten to express himself quite a bit and create worlds and he's gotten to have a part in musicals and things like that and I think that's really interesting to me. I'm sure there'll come a time when I'm working on an album and it becomes a conceptual piece.

TRADUCCIÓN

¿Qué le preguntas al hombre que hace todo? Hace algún tiempo, Gerard Way fue colocado como la imagen de ésta extraña cosa llamada ‘emo,’ armado con mascara negra y cabello planchado, como el compositor y vocalista de My Chemical Romance. En sus 12 años de existencia, My Chem se volvió una de las más grandes bandas de rock de su generación. Las letras de Way, a menudo fatalistas pero desgarradoras, resonaron con el sentimiento apocalíptico de una base de fans en su mayoría adolescente, expresado en himnos de estadio que subían a través de las listas de éxitos. Pero ‘emo’ siempre pareció un nombre dado para intentar apartar la banda hacia un lado, así como reducir sus amplias influencias de rock para hacerla parecer lloriqueos juveniles. Las ópera rock han pasado de moda por buenas razones, pero el tercer álbum de My Chem, “The Black Parade,” y el consiguiente “Danger Days” los reveló como una banda cuya visión era tan grande como su ambición.

Y aún más que cualquier banda de rock, a My Chemical Romance parecía realmente importarle. Particularmente sobre sus fans. Mientras que el ‘Los amamos, chicos, no estaríamos aquí si no fuera por ustedes’ y frases relativas ya eran usadas en el rock para entonces, Way parecía decirlo en serio. Al invitar a sus fans a sentir la intensidad con ellos, My Chemical Romance se volvió el apoyo emocional para una sección de la juventud que se sentía infeliz con sentir algo en lo absoluto. Pero escuchando a Way gritar ‘I’M NOT OKAY!’ durante un momento particularmente difícil, se sintió más reconfortante que lo que cualquier campaña de marketing hubiera podido lograr. Cada canción de My Chemical Romance suena como un reconocimiento a lo extremo que es tan sólo estar vivo.

Después de la separación de My Chemical Romance el pasado año, Way habló sobre tomar la decisión entre su salud y la de la banda, escogiendo el sacrificar la banda para poder deshacerse de los peligrosos hábitos en los que había caído. Tenía una familia y una hija que considerar, y aunque fue un golpe al corazón para su otra familia, los chicos del público, cualquiera con un poco de empatía podría entender. Además, esto nos dejó con varias cosas dónde morder: Killjoys obtuvo una secuela en forma de novela gráfica, un álbum de canciones inéditas llamado Conventional Weapons que había salido en meses anteriores, y Way no mostró señales de detenerse. Sin la banda, Way aún tenía suficientes cosas en qué ocupar su tiempo. Además de su familia, sus varios proyectos incluían un nuevo volumen de su aclamada novela gráfica The Umbrella Academy, un nuevo comic llamado All Ages, basado en gatos punk rock en la preparatoria, un pequeño trabajo para la poderosa Marvel, y más música bajo su propio nombre. Su nuevo álbum, Hesitant Alien, sonará familiar para los fans de My Chem, así como desentierra nuevas influencias en la composición de Way.

Cuando My Chem se separó, iba a teñirme el cabello de rojo como el tuyo en la era Killjoy, de ese brillante carmesí, pero nunca pude descifrar qué usar. ¿Cuál era ese tinte? ¿Cómo consigo teñir mi cabello de rojo Party Poison?

El problema es que no tengo una respuesta para eso. Un amigo me pintó el cabello en cada ocasión, y fue una combinación, una mezcla de unos tres rojos diferentes.

Estoy devastado.

Era todo un cocktail, y no sé exactamente cómo hacerlo.

Una fórmula secreta. Oh bien. Así que, ¿cómo has estado estos días? Sé que cuando My Chemical Romance se separó, tu salud quizá era un problema. ¿Estás bien?

Lo estoy, sí. El único problema que había eran cosas de la vida qué superar. Eran cosas que procesar, que lamentar, ese tipo de problemas. Es fácil sentarse ahí y llamarlo un periodo depresivo o un periodo obscuro, cuando de hecho sólo estás lidiando con desbalances y cosas que fueron difíciles. Eso pasa. No fueron realmente problemas de salud para mí.

Has dicho que Hesitant Alien está muy influenciado por el Britpop, pero también hay tintes de un masivo álbum de rock. “Bureau” suena como si fuera una canción de Aerosmith o algo así, lo que es irónico porque habla contra ese tipo de asuntos.

Para mí, Bureau suena más como “Station to Station” de Bowie. Creo que uno de los elementos de los que menos se habla, sí hay un énfasis en Britpop, probablemente por el asunto de la letra, pero el glam jugó un papel importante en el sonido de éste álbum. Específicamente el primer álbum de Brian Eno, el periodo en Berlin que tuvo David Bowie cuando Eno lo grabó a él, Iggy Pop y T.Rex. Creo que el glam fue una gran parte del sonido del álbum. Así como las bandas de shoegaze, como My Bloody Valentine.

Parece que se está hablando mucho de la influencia del Britpop en el álbum, pero también hay más en él. Es interesante que mencionaras a T.Rex, porque he escuchado comparaciones de T.Rex con los últimos álbumes de My Chem también. ¿Cuál es el aspecto de éste Bowie en la época de Berlín, del glam rock, que te atrae tanto?

Creo que siempre me ha gustado el glam tradicional. Siempre me he inclinado hacia eso. Definitivamente estéticamente. Y lo más accesible que My Chemical Romance se volvía, creo que era porque me estaba conectando mejor con el glam. Está por todos lados en Black Parade mientras que Three Cheers es un álbum extremadamente agresivo. Cuando llegas a Black Parade, encuentras que es agresivo, pero hay muchos elementos de glam. Especialmente “Teenagers,” que bien podría haber sido una canción de T.Rex. Creo que siempre ha estado ahí.

Sí, estoy de acuerdo. Realmente no sabía qué esperar con Hesitant Alien porque cuando la gente pasa de estar en bandas exitosas a seguir en solitario, hay una tendencia a hacer algo que estaba escondido, expresando cosas que no podrían haber hecho con la banda. Pero creo que Hesitant Alien, para mí, algunas de esas canciones suenan como si pudieran encajar con Conventional Weapons. Suena como una extensión natural de lo que estaba pasando.

Puede haber una conexión con Iggy Pop. Muchas de las canciones, desafortunadamente, no llegaron al sonido que quería, pero realmente sólo estuve escuchando a The Stooges y The Damned mientras estaba haciendo Conventional Weapons. Podría ser eso. Estaba buscando ese sonido punk para Conventional Weapons, desearía haber llegado ahí pero no pasó. Ésta vez realmente traté de llegar ahí en ocasiones.

Siempre admiré la relación que tenías con tus fans, y ahora que está tomando lugar en twitter, porque incluso has publicado nuevo trabajo ahí, pero antes de que lleguemos a eso, sólo quiero preguntar cómo es tener una base de fans tan devota. Siempre pareces particularmente consciente y preocupado del bienestar de tus fans, y ahora que ves la reacción de eso en tu timeline de Twitter cada segundo del día, ¿cómo es?

Es algo asombroso, y también algo con lo que tienes que ser realmente responsable. No lo tomaba tan en serio unos años atrás, y hubo un periodo donde no usaba Twitter porque no podía procesarlo. Entras a Twitter y te das cuenta que tienes a muchas personas escuchándote, y empiezas a pensar que puedes hacer felices a todos. Luego te vuelves el soporte técnico de seres humanos. No tienes que verlo así, pero empiezas a verlo de esa manera, y luego te das cuenta que no puedes hacer felices todos, y sólo tienes que ser tú mismo y hacer lo que hacer. He tenido una experiencia mucho más saludable con Twitter desde que descifré eso.

Últimamente, tienes que ser responsable porque muchos jóvenes te están siguiendo. No es sobre el número de personas que te siguen, sino el hecho de que muchos de ellos son menores. No es que me censure a mí mismo, pero soy más cauteloso, porque no quieres mandar el mensaje equivocado. Principalmente sólo trato de llenar su día, en leer mis tweets, con arte y cosas positivas. Solía envolverme más emocionalmente e interactuar mucho con la gente, pero entonces te encuentras con otro problema, porque no puedes hacer eso por 800,000 personas. Empieza a ser demasiado trabajo. Ahora realmente trato de compartir una tonelada de cosas. Supongo que ese es el punto, compartir. No hacer un tribunal ni nada.

Supongo que el arte puede hacer el trabajo pesado del apoyo emocional. Realmente aprecio tu esfuerzo porque cuando he tenido momentos donde la obscuridad amenazaba con volverse insoportable, tus álbumes realmente me ayudaron significantemente a no hacer alguna desafortunada estupidez, así que gracias.

Gracias a ti por compartir eso. Eso es lo que he aprendido en los últimos dos años. Twitter jugó un papel importante en eso, o más bien fue uno de los fórums que me ayudó a darme cuenta, pero noté que hago arte, comparto arte, no me subo a un escenario y hablo de mis opiniones políticas para tratar de galvanizar a las personas o ponerlos en contra de algo. Ese no es mi trabajo. Sé que hay muchas personas en Twitter que le dan ese uso, y eso está bien para ellos, pero a mí me gusta compartir a través del arte, me gusta cambiar el curso de las cosas a través del arte. Creo que es mucho más poderoso que sólo hablar.

Escuché que una fan de My Chem, “ViennaKISS,” falleció recientemente.

Sí, me acabo de enterar sobre eso.

Aparentemente no conoces a esas personas particularmente, ¿pero cuál es tu reacción a noticias como esa?

Bueno, llegas a conoces a la gente con el paso de los años. Ciertas personas dejan grandes impresiones en ti. Es casi siempre las personas más gentiles, las más genuinas y sinceras. Nunca la gente que es negativa, ellos sólo desaparecen con el paso del tiempo. Son las personas como ella, que recordé quién era tan pronto como me enteré, porque ella había estado ahí todos estos años, y era la persona más dulce. Recuerdo las convivencias donde ella estuvo y siempre tenía algo lindo qué compartir, algo gentil qué decir. Siempre pareció muy genuina. Una de las cosas que recuerdo es que ella siempre parecía cuidar de los fans más jóvenes, lo que era genial, ver ese tipo de atención venir de alguien. Logras conocer a los que son realmente buenos, ¿sabes? Las personas que valen la pena son las que sobresales. Fue realmente inquietante para mí enterarme que falleció.

Quiero hablar sobre los cómics en los que estás trabajando. Creo que hiciste un trabajo fenomenal en Umbrella Academy, y el cómic de los Killjoys fue fantástico por la forma en que explotó ese mundo visualmente. Ahora que estás trabajando en éste nuevo cómic de gatos, All Ages, ¿cuál es el estatus hasta el momento?

Ese cómic cambió muchas cosas. Al continuar con esto, tengo que ser cauteloso con mi tiempo. Me comprometí con hacer el tercer tomo de las series de The Umbrella Academy, en lo que estoy trabajando actualmente, y realmente me gustaría terminar eso primero. Al mismo tiempo, quisiera publicar más música, me gustaría compartir con más frecuencia. No quiero volver a encerrarme en una cueva. Es estatus de ese cómic actualmente es que no puedo hacer nada con él, no tengo el tiempo. Por mucho que yo quiera hacer éste épico cómic mensual sobre punk rock, no hay manera de encajar eso y ser músico. Si la única cosa que hiciera fuera escribir cómics, estaría bien, pero estoy escogiendo enfocarme en Umbrella Academy, porque sólo tengo que preocuparme por seis números al mismo tiempo, y mi música. La música es el enfoque principal.

Haces tantas cosas que, como entrevistados, lo vuelve difícil de abarcar en veinte minutos. ¿Cómo lo haces?

Lo que inicialmente fue más difícil, y lo más importante de descifrar, fue balancear tu familia con todo eso. He llegado a un punto donde creo que me he vuelto bueno en eso, me siento muy conectado con mi familia y estoy muy presente. Todos somos partes de las vidas de los demás y nos ayudamos entre todos. Ver a Bandit crecer y poder criarla, especialmente los últimos años, porque no he estado en My Chemical Romance, ha sido muy importante para mí. No sé exactamente cómo lo hago todo. Supongo que es porque estoy constantemente inspirado y constantemente lleno de la ambición de hacer algo, hay algo impulsándome. A menudo me ocupa una buena noche de sueño. Creo que trabajo muy duro y luego paso tiempo con mi familia y eso es todo lo que hago. No tengo realmente una vida social.

¿Qué puedes decirme sobre el nuevo volumen de Umbrella Academy?

Muestra el otro lado de lo que pasó con todos los supervillanos. Vuelves a ver al Mago Asesino de nuevo, juega una parte importante en éste volumen. Es un ángulo completamente diferente del universo, y creo que eso es lo que la hace una gran tercera parte. Va a ser una experiencia diferente para las personas. Se enfoca en el otro lado, los otros personajes, los villanos y lo que fue de ellos.

¿Hay alguna noticia en el asunto de la película?

Estoy muy distanciado del lado de la película. Me gusta enfocarme en los cómics. Sí pasé algún tiempo en Hollywood poniendo mi energía en film y después de un tiempo sentí que era demasiado consumidor de la energía que quería enfocar en otras cosas. Pero los derechos finalmente volvieron a Dark Horse, así que después de años negociando, reescribiendo y tratando de encontrar directores, finalmente decidieron que el proyecto no era para ellos. Cosa que funciona, al final. Si la película se hace, genial; nunca he pensado mucho en eso. Yo pienso en el mundo y en los personajes, pero sólo en la forma en cómo puedo crear eso con Gabriel.

También hiciste un número para Edge of Spider-Verse que sale en Octubre. Una cosa que me sorprende son ciertas similitudes entre parte del arte y los elementos visuales usados en cosas de My Chem. ¿Qué tanta influencia tuviste en la dirección de arte?

Siento que tuve mucha influencia. Me gusta conceptualizar visualmente las cosas al tiempo que estoy escribiendo la historia, o cuando estoy inventándola. Hice eso con Umbrella Academy 2. Basé la historia alrededor de una chica adolescente, co-piloteando ésta máquina con una araña radioactiva con la que comparte un vínculo mental. Y diseñé la máquina. Luego Nick Lowe, el editor de Marvel, necesitaba un artista que realmente pudiera capturarlo y hacerlo propio, y así encontró a Jake Wyatt. Fui tan lejos que rediseñé a Daredevil, porque supe que Daredevil iba a aparecer. Y Mysterio y cosas así. Visualmente llevé mucho al cómic y luego Jake lo volvió suyo y partió a partir de ahí. Ha hecho cosas asombrosas con esto.

Basándome en los detalles de la historia en Edge of Spider-Verse, ¿puedo aventurarme a decir que eres fan de Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Es gracioso, vi un poco de él y supongo que dejó una gran impresión en mí. Creo que el resultado es a través del ángulo de Jake, sé que él es un gran fan del anime, así que creo que inyectó algo de eso ahí. Realmente yo estaba buscando más similitud a Paup Pope. Estaba buscando THB. Paul Pope hizo éste comic llamado THM sobre una chica que vive en Marte y tiene un mágico amigo que sale de una cápsula llamad aTHB, una enorme creatura. Incluso la escala de la máquina que cree tiene el mismo tamaño que THM. Creo que mi estilo fue algo similar a Paul Pope y el de Jake fue éste de video juego y anime. Y estoy feliz con eso, creo que es genial.

Estoy entusiasmado por leerlo.

El resultado fue genial, me siento muy feliz con él.

También has dicho que construir mundos es una de tus actividades favoritas. Ahora tu instrumento para ello parece ser principalmente los cómics, pero hubo varias conexiones con los álbumes de My Chem. ¿Crees que llevaras esa construcción de mundos a tu música nuevamente en el futuro?

Podría pasar. Admiro músicos como Damon Albarn. Una de las cosas que él ha hecho es expresarse a sí mismo y crear mundos, y ha participado en musicales y cosas como esas, y creo que es muy interesante. Estoy seguro que llegará el momento en que esté trabajando en un álbum y se vuelva una pieza conceptual.

Fuente: The Vine Music
Créditos: My Chemical Collective

Traducción por Elly Loher para el Hotel Bella Muerte.

Para comentar el tema, click aquí.

May I never be complete.
May I never be content.
May I never be perfect.

Ask * Tumblr * Blog

EllyLoher
Traductora
Traductora

Femenino
Cantidad de envíos : 344

Ver perfil de usuario http://www.punkgoeson.livejournal.com

Ver el tema anterior Ver el tema siguiente Volver arriba